Tuesday, January 21

Frogs' eggs (AKA sago pudding)

When I was little, this dessert was one of my favourites. Frogs eggs! With a name like that, how could anyone not be intrigued? The look and the texture really was just what I imagined frogs' eggs to be and it absolutely delighted me. However, it was a rare treat as my mother always said that it was too much work to make. Recently though, I remembered frogs' eggs and discovered that it is actually quite easy to make! Hmm... my mother has a lot to answer for... Go on, leap in and give frogs' eggs a try! I also dare you to find a child who won't eat it, or at least try it (and sometimes that's a victory in itself!)

Here is my veganized recipe for frogs' eggs, known to most people as sago pudding. Sago are small, white starchy balls that can be purchased from the supermarket or a health food store. They're also known as tapioca pearls and turn clear when cooked.

Serves: 2 large serves or 4 smaller serves

1 cup sago
3 cups water
1 cup coconut milk
4 tbsp castor sugar

1. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the sago, stir well, and reduce heat to low. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.

2. Add the coconut milk and sugar, stir well, and heat back to a simmer. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until sago balls are completely clear.

I like to eat this dessert hot, but it will actually become a solid jelly-ish substance if chilled in the fridge. This makes it great for moulding and means that it can be made ahead of time and presented in a really impressive way. When cold, it's nice with fruit or any number of syrups and is perfect for a summery dessert.



Happy eating! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love those childhood desserts! Mine was semolina. Haven't made sago pudding before- will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sago is an edible starch that is made from the pith of an array of tropical palm trees.
    Tapioca pearls, on the other hand, are made with tapioca or the starch from cassava, a root crop.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!